Thursday, June 23, 2011

Interview: Balearic breakbeat sounds from Seville's Trukers

Boba takes another journey into the progressive and melodic depths of worldwide breakbeat

This week we touch on the Balearic progressive sounds with Seville's Rubén Núñez, aka Trukers. So far he has released two tracks, one on Rune Recordings and one on Break.sk, but is about to release a swarm of spine tingling material on us over the coming year.

I have been tuned in to some of his DJ mixes over the last month and must say they are a complete journey into sunshine sounds and feeling and looking at the UK weather this is something we need right now. Check out my favourite release of from the man so far below, a full on assault of
melodic emotions to put you in the right frame of mind to start your day.

Rubén took some time out to have a chat and has also made his live set from radio show Future Breaks available for download.

For the warriors who have not checked Trukers out yet, tell us about yourself ...

Hi everyone! I'm Rubén Núñez and Trukers is my musical solo project. I live in Seville, Spain.

The nickname is a long history; 10 years ago, I was working with my uncle. He's a genius guy and he always gives people nicknames. So ... one day I worked with him, said "Trukers, give me the pliers.." I say..."WTF??"...and I liked as sounded "Trukers" pronounced in Spanish, so always I used it since my beginings on Internet 10 years ago, I used this nickname for many things. So I decide use it for the music ... a matter of affection after many years.

Before of my firsts releases, I was thinking of changing my artist name, I couldn't think of a better nickname , so finally I decided use this one.

How long have you been making music, and what made you start producing breakbeat?

Since 1999 I had been Into artistic self-exploration, (seriously from 2007). So somehow, I needed to express my emotions through music. I always loved the breaks, so, what a better way to express it than through the breaks.
In autumn of 2010, I was noticed by the Ukrainian breaks label RUNE Recordings. In 2011 thanks to them I made my first release "Beyond Place / Round Trip Dreams" and after Breaks s.k Records, also was interested in another of my track "Promising". At the moment, RUNE is my “native” label, so all the tracks that I will make, RUNE will have preference about release and also his support is really appreciated.
I saw the breakbeat evolving since I started listening in 1996 to today. Maybe I've been finding my way during this time, and from some years, I really love "atmospheric breaks" - really makes me feel ... Although I listen all kinds of music, from deep house, progressive house, Brazilian music, jazz, lounge, ambient ... I love music.

Tell us a bit about your background outside of music?

Hmm well, bachelor, 32 years. I like brunettes, blondes, redheads and with money. (Oh wait, this is not for here) ... haha. Joking aside, my profession is plumber, I'm proud of it, although I worked and collaborated on many sites. I was in a videogame website making preview/review on the games, I also made promotional videos for a large supermarket on the section videogames. I worked in a plant nursery, maintenance of hotel ... in many things, you know, I'm just like Windows: multitasking. Haha.
I love movies, any leisure activity, a good conversation, the sports. I always like to try new things that catch my attention. I could be a kind of technological and music "geek ". I'm not a big party guy, but I go out where needed. I like to go have a drink, enjoy everything, even to see how the grass grows. I like to chill, but as I told you, I go with whatever, life is only one time. I consider myself a good person and amusing. I don't need much to feel at ease (comfortable). I think that I now appreciate the small details of life.


4. What other productions can we expect from you in the future?


Lately I've made some guest mixes for 'Sustainable Breaks with Grade-e' and 'Disc Breaks with Llupa', and I still have two more ... so it looks that is time for this. It is also worth a little self-promotion. In the production I have some projects finished and many open. Finished, I have the remix "Origins Of The Mind" of Andy Faze for VIM, also a remix of "Sensational Ocean" of "Hide" for Passport, and a pair of originals, "Feeling the Awakening" and "Syneidesis" for Rune.

And projects open, some collaborations, remixes official with DSUK and some free remixes ... at this time I let a little own production and I'm focused on the remixes and collaborations. I'm excited with this one.

But you never know ... Usually I take care of my muses ... and at anytime it may come up with a new track hehe
for now, I don't plan to make another type of style other than "breaks ", maybe because I want to see how far I can go. When I am ready to jump to other styles, I will do. But specially I hope keep improving and learning every day more. Always I like to learn and I still have a lot more room for improvement.

What toys do you have in the studio and what is your favourite piece of kit?

It's funny, I use Fl Studio, but the most people that I known, they all use Ableton, so I felt as from another planet.
I really would like to try Ableton and I make "breaks" from there. But maybe I'm quite used to using Fl studio and on the beginning it was difficult for me. but I would like to try it.
So Fl Studio at the moment is my better option. I really like Alchemy (Camel Audio). It seems very interesting, it has many possibilities and I like to use it for atmosphere. Massive (N.I) known to everyone, usually for the bassline, some soft synths that came with the keyboard controller, many samples that I search on internet, and some samples CDs that I have. Also I have a midi keyboard controller A-500 pro (Cakewalk), DJ mix controller steel (Hercules). This is no great shakes but it does the job very well and enjoyable. When I need to update my computer, I'm sure I'll buy a Mac. I would like to test Logic Pro. I'm curious to see how it works.

Name three breakbeat tunes that are blowing you away at the moment?

ID - ID (Dallean Remix)
Andrew Philippov - Space Ocean (Bobalino Remix)
Tom Lue - Wish You Were Here (Dynamic Illusion Breaks Mix)

Final word

Thanks a lot for the interview man! When I started I never thought I’d reach this point, so thanks to everyone for supporting my music in their shows and for all the positive remarks on Facebook and SoundCloud. Special thanks to Rune, VIM, Breaks.sk, and all the wonderful cool people I've met (they know who they are) and I hope to meet. All the best!!! Peace for everyone.

http://soundcloud.com/trukers

No comments:

Post a Comment