Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Interview: The other half of Ridiculoud Records Ghettface


Boba takes another journey into the progressive and melodic depths of worldwide breakbeat.

A couple of weeks ago we had a chat with one half of Ridiculoud Records, Yanix. This week we hook up with the other half: the mighty Ghettface. This is a producer who has been releasing his own productions and remixes on the excellent Ridiculoud for a couple of years now, and has also dropped a couple of remixes on Digital Sensation UK and Kindcrime Recordings.
Over the next 7 days we are gonna be hit by two brand new remixes from Ghettface, first up is a driving rolling electro funk fuelled banger of Digital Breaks Foundation - Going Back to be released on V.I.M Breaks any time soon and next up is a pure festival banger a remix of Tribal Riots -Lights, full of lead guitar and punky vocals this will get any mosh pit bouncing to be released on Ridiculoud Records on the 12th July.


You can check both these remixes below and a Ghettface interview.

Digital Breaks Foundation - Going Back (Ghettface Remix) [Preview] by Ghettface


Tribal Riot - Lights (Ghettface Remix) by Ghettface

For the people who have not checked you yet, tell us about Ghettface  ...

Pretty simply, Ghettface is my production alias.I’m from the American Midwest and I produce breaks and co-run Ridiculoud Records with Yanix.The Ghettface name doesn’t really mean anything and to be honest I forget where it came from besides it being part of an inside joke with my cousin years ago.If I could remember it would likely be the dumbest story you’ve ever heard.

How long have you been making music, and what made you start producing breakbeat?

I’ve been making music seriously since around 2003.Before that I played around with different software like Fruity Loops for fun but never developed a satisfying sound.Around when I started college I got my first hardware synth (Roland JP-8000) which that really got me excited about producing. After that I started picking up more pieces of kit and learned more about production and eventually got into breakbeat.If I had to pinpoint it, I’d say it was the Rogue Element is who really got me into the breaks sound.
Initially I was intrigued by the big beat sound of the late 90’s and tried mimic that style with my early work.As time went on and I got more involved in music I started hearing the breaks sound and eventually that became my sole production project, although I do like to lower the tempo here and again.

Tell us a bit about your background outside of music?


Outside of music I’m a tax attorney.Probably not the typical job for someone in breaks, but I enjoy it.

What other production can we expect from you in the future?

I have a handful of remixes forthcoming that are all on my soundcloud page (www.soundcloud.com/ghettface) including remixes for Distorsion, VIM, and my own label Ridiculoud.They’re all a bit different from one another but they’re all held together by a core sound. Hopefully all that stuff lands this summer.
As for the future, I’m trying to do a track or two with an original vocalist and maybe try some tracks at lower tempos.I like playing around with slower stuff sometimes mainly because it really opens up the drum patterns.Additionally, I’m working on a potential sample-pack project but more on that later.

What is you studio set up and what is your favourite peice of kit?

Contrary to what most breaks producers do, I run a nearly all-hardware setup.Currently I use a Roland JP-8000, Virus KC, Novation K-Station, Nord Lead 2, EMU XL-7, Korg MS-2000, Korg ES-1, and some effects (Korg Kaoss 3, a wah guitar pedal, etc.).Everything goes into a 16 channel mixer where it’s recorded on my PC.My monitors are M-Audio BX-5’s but one of them is broken so I’m looking to upgrade soon.
It’s hard to pick, but I think my favorite synth is the Roland JP-8000.It does it all and you can get some really raw sounds from it if you know which knobs to twist.
For software, I record everything with Soundforge and do all the heavy processing and sequencing with Ableton Live 7.I do have a couple soft-synths but I rarely use them.

Name 3 breakbeat tunes that is blowing you away at the moment?

Open Cluster – Grotto (EK Remix) [forthcoming on Ridiculoud].Open Cluster is one of my current favorite producers, I love what he’s doing and I’m happy we got to release two of his originals in April.We had EK, one of my favorites, do another remix for us and it is outrageous. I love everything EK does and he put a great spin on this track – can’t wait to release it.

Beat Assassins – Straight to the World (Sam Hell Remix) [The Pooty Club].We were lucky enough to have Sam Hell do a remix with us early on and this kind of track is the reason I wanted him to help us get us off the ground.TUNE.
Beatsmack – Whats the Deal [forthcoming on Plasmapool].I heard this on soundcloud and instantly had to have these guys do a remix for us (which is also forthcoming).I love their hard funk sound with the b-boy samples.It’s an aggressively original track and I can’t get enough of it.

Final word

Thanks for all the continued support of my music and I hope everyone continues to enjoy what I put out and what we’re doing with the label. Stay loud!

http://www.soundcloud.com/ridiculoud
http://www.ridiculoudrecords.com

No comments:

Post a Comment