Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Interview: From Russia with Ilya Mosolov

Curl & Dean's Boba continues his journey into the progressive and melodic depths of worldwide breakbeat.

Eastern Europe is fast becoming a swarm of amazing breakbeat talent. This week we take a look at Russia's Ilya Mosolov. In only one year the man has already had two albums out and a huge amount of original material and remixes under his belt. His work rate is incredible, and I think he must be half-human, half-octopus. I first got to hear the deep feel good vibes back in December 2009 with the heart melting breaks mix of Blinded by Love on Avioground Records, and since then his name has not stopped popping up on various labels, including Electrofly and DSUK.

Ilya's music will always take you on a different path into sound and emotion. The guy is only 23 and at this rate he'll soon be a massive name in progressive breakbeat - he already is in my book. He also works in other genres of music, namely progressive house and chillout, but it’s the breakbeat productions that have got me to stand up and check.

Below you can listen to some of Ilya's latest releases, and one of my personal favourites. First up are two releases on Scarcity Records, Agoraphobia is an original production with uplifting hypnotic synth melodies that build and build, while his remix of Kovacs' Nanobots again has that melodic uplifting vibe all over it. Also released in November was Connections, on Rune Recordings. This one takes you to a deeper level but still keeps that hypnotic building groove that I have grown to love.

Ilya was kind enough to take some time out for a chat. Check out the interview below for the lowdown on this raw young talent.

[SCAR19] Ilya Mosolov - Agoraphobia (Original) by scarcityrecords
[SCAR18] Kovacs - Nanobots (Ilya Mosolov Remix) by scarcityrecords
RUNE006BLACK: Ilya Mosolov - Connections [PREVIEW] by RUNE Recordings

For the people who don’t know you, who, where and what is Ilya Mosolov?

Hey! I’m Russian musician, I’m 23. I was born and living in Samara, Russia. I produce many genres of electronic music and my favourite style is breakbeat of course!

Tell us a bit about your background before you were making music?


Oh, I started to listen and understand music ... I think when I was seven or eight years old. It was mostly classical music, you know, Mozart, Saint-Saens, Debussy ... And later in 98 was the breaking point for me: I heard such tracks as Fatboy Slim’s Rockafella Skank, Junkie XL's Billy Club and the amazing Brian Transeau’s album, ESCM. I bought a computer and all of it together pushed me to creating music and later I played in a local rock band, just a bit.

I first found you when hearing Blinded by Love last year, which is a wicked tune. How long have you been making music, and what made you start producing breakbeat?


Thanks! I’ve been waiting for a release of Blinded by Love for about a year. I composed the original in 2007.

I started composing in 2002, first years of my creative way composed big beat and nu-school breaks, later house and chillout music and in the last three years I fully dived into progressive breaks. As I said before it is these breaks classics that pushed me to produce breakbeat. I feel this music with my heart, my mind and soul. I can’t explain, but I fell in love when I heard the first beats, synths and sound of this music.

Do you think the progressive breakbeat sound is making a strong comeback?


For sure! I think further will be more, much more!


Your latest remix was part of the same package which my act Curl & Dean were on, Kovacs ' Nanobots, on Scarcity - what else can we expect from you in the future?


Yeah! And our remixes will be set up together again on Rune Recordings soon! I am always trying to keep listeners up to date with my future releases and everybody can listen and download demo versions of my future releases and previous releases on my Promo DJ profile. Here is a link.


What is your studio set up?


Computer and many software programs, such as FL studio, ACID, Cubase. Oh, the main thing is the unity of body, soul and my ears. Without this, the programs are nothing.


Which producers are you feeling right now, and which artists from the past have inspired you?


Right now BETA first of all! Flack.su, Mesmer, BSD released a great album. From the past is Shiloh with a great debut album, Tim Fretwell, BT, nubreed and Fatboy Slim.


Three big tunes you are feeling right now and why?


Curl & Dean – Bantha (Beta remix) – sure you know why! This is very positive and feels like the real breakbeat that we know and love.
BSD – Party Groove – My favourite from the album! For memories about Hip Hop Phenomenon and this is a great tune anyway!
And finally is Ilya Mosolov – Perun. Sorry, but please don’t think that I am egotistic. I know that you have not heard this track and maybe you don’t know what a “Perun” is - it's an ancient Slavic god of lightning.


Final words from Ilya Mosolov.


Thank you for the interview! And good luck everyone! Happy New Year!


To hear more sounds from Iiya Mosolov check out his DJ Promo Page.

No comments:

Post a Comment