Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Interview: Line of Sight on target

Curl & Dean's Boba continues his journey into the progressive and melodic depths of worldwide breakbeat

Back in September 2009 we checked out some of the deep flowing sounds of Bulgarian progressive breakbeat supremo Line of Sight. This week we get to have a chat with the man himself and check out his brand new remix of Solesystem & El Aero's Birds, released this week on Morphosis Limited. This remix will really take you on a journey in sound with so many deep elements and melodic layers that build and build.

Solesystem & El Aero - Birds (Line of Sight Remix) by Line of Sight

Line Of Sight - Pale Shelter by Line of Sight

For the people who don't know you, who is Line of sight?

My name is Georgi and I'm from Varna, Bulgaria. I produce mostly breakbeat but I love music in general so I prefer not to restrict myself into specific genre. So from time to time I also go into drum 'n bass, downtempo stuff and even house and trance. I've had the pleasure to work with labels such as Morphosis, Flextone, Dead Famous, Scarcity, V.I.M.Breaks, Dusted Breaks, RUNE.

How long have you been making music, and what made you start producing breakbeat?

I've been experimenting with electronic music since 1998 but nothing too serious. I was mostly into drum 'n' bass at that time, but in 2003 I've bought my first pair of turntables and a bunch of second hand breakbeat vinyls to practice with … so that's how I first got into breaks. What got me interested was its diversity and the freedom to combine elements from different genres.

You have some amazing remixes under your belt. Are there any Line of Sight originals coming soon, and what else can we expect in the future?

Yeah it's been a year of remixes. There's a remix for Solesystem & El Aero's Birds which should be out on Morphosis records in this month, and I have another one coming out on Distortion records.
I'm currently working on remixes for Digital Sensation UK and Scarcity. When I'm done I'll focus entirely on my own stuff for a while as I have quite a few ideas waiting to be completed. I'm also working on some collaboration projects with Duane Barry and Mesmer which are going very well.

What is your music set up and what piece of equipment could you not live without?

I use Ableton Live, some VSTs, a Korg R3 and a Waldorf Blofeld connected to a RME Fireface 400. Sometimes I use guitars as well … it depends on the tune and what I'm trying to achieve. The most essential piece of equipment for me is probably the R3 - it's a great little synthesizer, very capable and it sounds great.

There are some great progressive breakbeat producers about pushing the sound. Which producers are you feeling now and from the past?

Way too many I guess. Right now there are Retroid, Mesmer, Beta, Triple Agent, Kultur and Colombo, Hedflux, Llupa, Duane Barry, Flack Su, Home Alone, Fletric… and from the past - Crystal Method, Koma and Bones, Shiloh, Burufunk.

Final word from Line of Sight:

Thank you for interviewing me and also thanks to everybody who believed in me, who supported me and inspired me. For the last two years I've had the chance to meet some wonderful people and for me this is the best thing about being a part of the breaks community!

For more information on Line of Sight check out his Soundcloud or website.

No comments:

Post a Comment