Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Interview: The mighty Morphosis of Retroid (free tunes inside!)

Curl & Dean's Boba returns to continue his journey into the progressive depths of breakbeat

This
week I'm checking out the heady sounds of Hungary's Retroid, aka Adam Huszar. Adam's output in music has been something else, with more than 20 artist releases and 50 remixes. He also runs labels Morphosis and Ego Shot, so I'm amazed and very grateful that he even found the time to answer these questions.

I first came across these timeless sounds back in March 2008 when hunting for some new, fresh progressive beats. I was looking for something with the energy and atmospheric vibes of Hybrid or Way out West, and came across Aeron Aether's Aeristhesia
(Retroid Remix). Since then I have been hooked on the mercurial and beguiling style of this eastern European gentleman. If you're into your progressive sounds then you already know who he is, but for those of you who have not had the honour, check out his Soundcloud or website.

Soon to be released (on the 23rd August) on Ego Shot Recordings is Parallax Breaks & M Spark's Sun.
This Retroid remix is a slice of pure, banging, metallic breakbeat that will make you grind down to your gums.



Parallax Breakz & M Spark - Sun (Retroid Remix) by Retroid

Here's a slice of some of Retroid's latest work, including his deep hypnotic remix of Chris Nemmo's - Nightshade (Digital Sensation UK) and a spine tingling remix of Evave - Uprising (Morphosis Records), as well as a whole bundle of other fresh tracks.

Tunes by Retroid


For the people who don't know you, who is Retroid and what is your sound?
I'm a producer from Hungary, but I have also been DJing for a couple of years. I have been producing music since 1998, so I have had enough time to test my skills almost in every music genre. I love atmospheric and dynamic music which has great energy and catchy melodies, so I always try to build my tracks around this criteria. I don't like to restrict my name to only one genre of music but my main style is breakbeat and most of my productions come from the sub genres of this, such as progressive, psy and nuskool breaks. However I have also made many progressive house tunes over the years. I prefer breakbeat when playing gigs and shows, but sometimes I like to play something a bit different like electronica or house.
You run two labels, Morphosis and Ego Shot. Now you have started the latter, will this be a strictly breakbeat label, and will you still be releasing breaks on the Morphosis label?
 
I launched Morphosis Records in 2007 with some very talented but at that time unknown artists (East Cafe, Mango, Embliss, Arthur Deep) in order to bring quality progressive electronic music closer to the people. The label attracted listeners' attention very quickly thanks to the great produ
ctions and from DJs and producers who support the releases. From the end of 2009 progressive house came to the fore with the label, so I decided to launch a sub label, Morphosis Limited which is devoted to melodic breaks 100%. In 2008 came the idea to start another label which is totally different from Morphosis, a pure "head shot" (the Ego Shot name come from this) for everyone who likes heavy breakbeat and electro music. You can expect more bad-ass records with dirty, raspy sounds in the future.

Ego Shot has started off with a bang, releasing some great breakbeat music. What future releases have you coming up, and what artists can we look forward to hearing from Ego Shot ?

 

I’m very picky in music, so I am working with a small roster at the label. There are a couple of releases scheduled for this year: originals will come from Parallax Breakz, Audiohazard, Home Alone and me.

You have over fifty remixes to your name, which is some production output. Will we be seeing more Retroid singles in the future?

Yes of course! I recently finished a remix for Hybrid and I have had a lot of remix requests, which is really gladdening, but I am trying to focus on the originals and collaboration tracks at the moment. I just finished a psy breaks type of tune with DBF and I am working on other projects with Mongewz and Krum. I also have many unfinished tunes so I am going to sort them out very soon.
In the music world which breakbeat producers are you feeling right now?

Karton sit at the top of my list right now - they can't do anything wrong. But I'm also feeling Mesmer, Mars, Eshericks, Beta, Line Of Sight, DaVip - the list goes on. Luckily more and more notable artists and labels are appearing in the breakbeat scene, so the situation is much better than it used to be.

What other music do your grab inspiration from?

I like to listen to many types of music, such as ambient, downtempo, electronica, sometimes drum and bass, mostly during travel. There are many
artists whose work is really inspiring to me, like Hybrid, Paul Oakenfold, BT, Apparat.
Obviously I don’t want you giving away all your tips in the studio, but what is your main piece of kit that you could not live without?
 

Many years ago I won my first studio gear, an Audiophile soundcard in a remix contest, and I think I couldn't live without it.

Final words from Retroid: I do mixes monthly and I have radio shows on various radio stations like Proton, Frisky and Pure FM. Feel free to check them out if you like to discover new music and keep supporting the talented artists to get more wicked tunes by them.

Final words from BoBa: A huge massive thanks to Adam for taking time out to answer a few questions. You can grab a gigantoid amount of free Retroid remixes right here:

No comments:

Post a Comment