Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Interview: Young, breakbeat and Serbian - we bring you Fletric

Curl & Dean's Boba returns to continue his journey into the progressive depths of breakbeat

This week we check two new remixes from rising Serbian producer Fletric. From the very start I have been following what this young talent has been putting out there, and have never been disappointed. I first heard about this artist back in May when he dropped his remix of Parallax Breakz's Hope on Morphosis. Since then he has had solo releases on Flextone and Digital Sensation UK.

Here are two of his latest remix masterpieces. First up - released today - is an epic reworking of Chris Nemmo's Nightshade on Digital Sensation UK, with loads of sweet tweaks and crafted edit skills, Fletric turns an already great tune into a flowing, pulsating banger.

Chris Nemmo - Nightshade (Fletric Remix) • Digital Sensation UK [12... by Fletric

Buy on Beatport

Next up, forthcoming on Flextone Recordings is this delightful rolling, tweaking builder. A take on Youthful Implants' Jah, this is some deep flowing rasta prog, and available in a couple of weeks' time.

Youthful Implants - Jah (Fletric Remix) • Flextone Recordings by Fletric

Fletric was kinda enough to answer a few questions about himself and what the future holds for this
amazing young talent.

Who is Fletric and what is your sound?

Well, I'm a young producer from Serbia that started back in 2001 playing mostly with drum 'n' bass sounds. After a couple of years I discovered breakbeat, and was immediately drawn to it. Today my sound has changed quite a bit, and it's kind of a mixture of many different breaks subgenres, I think. You could say it's electro-influenced progressive breaks or somethin'. But I can't tell for sure except that it's good energetic breaks with loads of fast changes and detailed edits.

I first got to hear your sound on the remix for Parallax Breakz's Hope. Since then you have had some quality tunes released on Digital Sensation UK and Flextone Recordings. What is the future for Fletric?

Yes, actually Hope Remix was my first release, and before that I had some originals already signed to Digital Sensation UK and Flextone, which were released soon after. What's the future for Fletric? I'm currently trying to balance in-between my daily job and music production and I think I'm pretty good at it. In near future you can expect quite a few remixes for various labels, then some EPs and eventually an album. And hopefully I will discover more quality labels to stick with, like Digital Sensation UK which is just a joy to work for.

In the world of breakbeat, which producers are you feeling right now?

Loads I guess, but if I had to select a few I would say Kultur & Colombo, Hedflux, Access Denied and BSD. I also like Quadrat Beat, Triple Agent, Baymont Bross, Dirty & Acid, Duane Barry, Kiwa, Line Of Sight, Factorfunk, Retroid, Mesmer and Parallax Breakz.

Is there a big breakbeat scene in Serbia?

Well there is a scene, but I wouldn't necessarily call it a big one. Serbia always has lots of quality DJs and producers, but not so many clubs to support all different music genres. So sometimes it gets quite difficult. The good thing is that there are quality breaks DJs from all Serbian towns supporting each other and organising events to help the growing breaks scene. I'm surrounded by the best crew of people to work with, and I can clearly see a strong future for Serbian breaks.

Final words from Fletric?

Many thanks for this interview and many thanks to everyone else who has supported me.

Final words from Boba :

A big thanks to Fletric for taking the time out to answer some questions and for making some quality interesting breakbeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment